Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I'm 'Bah' your Humbug!

Semester ended and I made it out with what little shred of sanity I could salvage. Not that there was a lot to begin with. Grades came out pretty much what I anticipated and I am in no real danger of not graduating in May unless there is something just ridiculously catastrophic that happens. Hooray for finally finishing something! It's only taken five years... (or four with a break, depending on how you count it.)

Now I'm in holiday mode. With school out, I'm basically working and doing whatever crosses my path. Right now I'm crashing with some friends and riding out the wave of interpersonal drama that comes with living for more than three days in this lovely world.

Thesis presentation went well, and I really feel like that is a huge hurdle that I was able to surmount. Hopefully I'll be able to use that piece later. Perhaps to expand and maybe publish. I feel like it has potential, anyway. p.s. If you want a copy, I'm happy to email it, just let me know.

In other news, in the next week and a half I'll be globetrotting from Central Arkansas to Missouri to Central Arkansas to Texarkana to Mississippi and back to Central Arkansas. I'll be back in Conway before New Years. This week I'm going to Missouri to visit my paternal grandparents. I don't think I've been to their house in something like five or six years, so it should be thoroughly odd... but it will be nice to do what catching up can be done in a four day span. Then to Mississippi next week to see Granny et. al for the Christmas extravaganza that is a card table of decidedly nommable sweets and a few days of Chinese checkers (Granny, I'm bringing my A-game) and sitting around shooting the breeze.

Then back to work hard for the money before school resumes. I'm pleased with my last semester's class schedule and hope that it will be interesting enough to stave off the senioritis that set in in 2005 and hasn't ever worn completely off. I am excited to be taking an anthropology class actually in the anthro department (as opposed to the others I've taken in the Honors College), and I'm looking forward to a script workshopping class I'm taking in the writing department with Bob May. Otherwise, I'm in the thick of producing a movie involving aging and retirement homes and time machines. Plus an Honors seminar class and some stuff to do with production design.

Oh, by the way, my 3D animation class ended up with an A for my final grade. Even after all my complaining. My final project was a campfire in a forest at night. The fire was a particle system that glowed and looked kind of cool, and the camera was animated on a track to fly close into the fire and then out and around. I was happy with it. Unfortunately, I didn't do anything to put it up to be seen online. If it's still around when I get back on the lab's computers I'll see if I can't get it on YouTube or Vimeo... or at least a screencap to see my modeling. I ended up using Photoshop in addition to Blender, and I felt awfully proud of myself. This would be my first experience with either. And I think Photoshop and I would get along nicely if I ever sat down and played with it. I used to do some photo editing business back in the days of my old lappy. Le sigh.

So, now that I've put off putting my clothes into my backpack for this trip, I should probably do that post haste before the parentals arrive.

Merry Christmas, etc.

T

No comments: