Thursday, April 16, 2009

There goes gravity

Ok, yes, I am still alive, and I still have this blog, and I still love you all. Since we last spoke, I've done makeup to look like I had an infected brown recluse bite (see Facebook photos), made myself into a Golem, gone to see a friend's band play their second ever show, fallen dreadfully behind in schoolwork, been to Texarkana*, been to Mena*, worked like mad, survived on Starbucks, and gotten my oil changed. Have I left anything out? Oh, also, have developed a mild case of insomnia.

* indicates more to come, not a trademark or anything.

This past Thursday night, a line of nasty storms went across the Natural State and spawned some nasty tornadic activity. Unfortunately, three were killed in-state, and the worst of the tornados happened around Mena, which is where Jewelie (w/Peanut) and Nevada live. Nevada was at play practice and Jewelie was home hiding in a closet when the tornado hit. Nevada was in precarious proximity to the storm, and the time was undoubtedly horrifying, but they all made it through with no harm. The neighborhood in which they lived a scant handful of months back was greatly damaged, and we are very blessed that they don't live there anymore. Thus, I went to Mena to visit them and assess the situation with the fam this past weekend.

Also on Thursday night, a young lady with whom I grew up was shot and killed by her husband during what we must assume was a domestic dispute. I am still very much processing what this means for the world in which I live, but I think it puts us in the line of crappy. In the wake of these two events, I begged out of work for the weekend and took flight for the comforts of lonesome old Texarkana. I stayed there from Friday until after the funeral on Tuesday. I got nothing done academically, and thus I'm farther behind in school than I was before. However, I am very glad that I had the proximity and ability to be in town for the funeral, and I was very honored to be a pall bearer in the ceremony. What happened after the graveside was a strange reunion of the old Central Baptist youth group, and the places each of us have come to in life are diverse and strange. I hope and pray that the next time we reunite, it will not be because one of us has died.

Now for dinner, followed by chaining myself to this computer and getting things done.

T

1 comment:

WillDCJr said...

I need you to be the first follower on my new blog. I'm getting very discouraged by the lack of readers. And you were so right about Tuesday, it was like a nightmarish high school reunion--but not as awful as I was expecting.