Thursday, September 3, 2009

Oh, look, it's September

This week I feel like I've been in the pressure cooker. I had projects due, readings to finish, places to be, people to see, and money-earning to resume. Somehow, though, it has all worked out. I've been stressing myself out needlessly, it seems, and today--my last day of class for the week-- is just peachy. My Chinese class was moved to yesterday and my film project is ready to be reviewed. All I have left is a meeting with my prof and then a 5 hour shift at the Slab. Sigh of relief.

Nevertheless, lately I've been contemplating the situation of my worldview and how it reflects the status of my soul's health. It isn't that I have ever given up the quest for truth and what is good, but that in the past year I've been so handily sidetracked by my own personal enjoyments that it has taken a bit of a backseat. Well, I am not "there" yet, that is to say, to a point of beautiful harmony with the Spirit or whatever. But I am working toward a place that would best be called Shalom--peace eternal and transcendent. I realize as I write this that I must sound like so star-child of the 60's transplanted into a post-modern world. I'm not, and I don't mean it that way at all. I just feel like God isn't my enemy anymore, and I'm earnestly seeking to be a better person.

(I realize that that paragraph may mean nothing at all to anyone but me.)

Friday is going to be a get-together with the people I studied with in Shanghai this summer. I'm looking forward to making jiaozi and seeing these folks I haven't spent much time with in the past couple months. I hope it goes well... and I don't have to work on Friday, so that's a double plus good way to relax. Sleeping in? Yes, please.

T

No comments: